DIY Soap

I love body washes and scrubs, but there's something really nice and comforting about a bar of good soap! My all time favorite bar soap is Yardley oatmeal & almond {I LOVE all of their products and scents} but I wanted to do something different for a change... Why not craft up my own!

Here's what I used:
Packaged glycerin soap {a 2lb brick from the local craft store} here's one
Fragrance oil {also from the craft store, I used honey almond} here's one
Glass liquid measuring cup
Microwave
A mold {you could use any shape, I stuck with the basic bar} here's one


The glycerin soap package had directions that I tried to follow... It instructed the crafter to melt the glycerin in a double broiler- I found that it melted faster if I put a few cubes in a glass measuring cup and microwaved it on high in 45 second intervals, stirring between until completely melted. {side note: the clear glycerin melted a lot faster than the white glycerin} Once melted, I stirred in my fragrance oil {you could use other add-ins too, like small toys for kids or chunks of an old bar soap} finally I poured my soap into my mold. I tried to let it form by leaving it out to harden on the counter, but I got impatient and made room for it in the freezer to solidify. This really hastened the production, once I flipped my mold over the counter and gave it a few little taps I had some new bars of soap! {each bar of soap used about 4 squares of glycerin}



Labels: , , ,